When you’re dealing with gas, you need to be careful. If your gas appliance is wrongly fitted, you risk being poisoned, or even blown up. Just how powerful is a natural gas explosion? Check out the video below.
The easiest way to avoid having your homestead sent skyward is to make sure your gas appliances are fitted by an engineer who is on the Gas Safety Register (who replaced CORGI as the UK’s gas registration body in 2009).
Here at Fireplace Products we have an excellent range of gas fires and gas stoves, which can’t be beaten on efficiency whilst still providing a gorgeous flame. Upon your purchase of one, we insist you use a gas engineered registered on the Gas Safety Register. Therefore we are also supporting Gas Safety Week (14-20 September).
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Here are the steps you need to take to protect yourself and your family:
- Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at staygassafe.co.uk.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Carbon Monoxide alarms protect you from a silent killer. Benefit from Gas Safety Week and get 10% off a Carbon Monoxide Alarm by quoting “GASSAFE15” at the checkout.